Monday, July 20, 2009

John - An interesting simple man!

I woke up at 5:30 a.m, my luggage was all packed. Was happy to go home and meet Lalit after 4 days. At 6:30 a.m, got a call from the front desk, 'Mam, your cab is ready.' I said ,'fine...' Checked the room for the last time in the 10th floor of the Intercontinental hotel, in Cleveland and locked the door. Settled the payments at the front desk and moved to my cab.

'Good Morning, have a nice day Mam' was a confident voice of a smart, fair looking cab driver. 'Thanks and wish you the same, do you know where to go?'I asked. 'Ya, he said,'To the airport.' I smiled and said, 'For a change, i would like to go to Greyhound bus station, do you know where it is?' , 'Yes, Ofcourse...' came the immediate reply.

The car was good...but i don't remember the name of the model, as am bad at it! He asked me, 'From where are you Mam? I said ,'Am from India. Oh...did u come all the way from India to Cleveland?' I replied ,'I stay in NJ, both myself and my husband work in NY city, came here for a confernce.Oh!! good, he said.

I asked him,' How long are you here?' He replied, 'Since 22 years, I came here to study, but have not completed it till now???, so am driving the cab. When I came here , it was a good city with booming Steel industry, now everything is quiet and standstill, no jobs so lot of drug dealings in young generation and prostitution too...... but you stay in a city, which is too fast!' Yes, I nodded. 'From which country are you?' I asked . He said, 'I am from Morocco.' I was a bit confused and asked him,' Where is it exactly situated, is it in Europe or in Africa?' As if he knew, he instantly said,'Lot of people are confused about it..Monaco is the wealthiest country near France...I am from Morocco,one of the poorest country in Africa, so I landed here.'

I told him, 'I visited the Cleveland Clinics and was amazed to see the huge investment done, in the healthcare sector here...but somehow after talking to the staff here, felt some negative vibes..as if the hospitals are only for rich and wealthy. There was lot of attitude in their behaviour too.' He said,' You are good in reading minds,Mam...No poor can get treated there, Here people, will treat a street dog or a cat....but not a humanbeing, if you don't have an insurance.Neverthless, this clinics are the largest source of employment in Cleveland now, so that's a positive point of them.'

He continued saying,' You know, I learned one thing here, when I was in college, I joined English Classes, I hardly had any money. One of my friend took me to a cafeteria, we were standing in the queue, when his number came he took his food,paid his bill and sat on his table, I was surprised,Oh!!! jezz, if you are not paying for me, why did you invite me, I am poor, I cannot afford this, that day I learned its a different culture my boy!! Later on, when i purchased a sandwich and offered a half of it to my friend, he said,'Why, you don't want it?' I said, ' Its not the way, I want to share it with you.' I was just amazed to know, how true he was!!

Ohh!! the station has come.' I mourned.He said. ,'Please give me a change Mam of 15 dollars,' I said ,' I need to open my baggage for a complete change, so we went to the trunk, i gave him 17 dollars with 2 dollars tip, as always insisted by Lalit to give a tip(But I know this was less than what Lalit's calculations say!).' He saw that, I finished all my change and said,' Oh!! you please keep this dollar back, and pick a popcorn or something to wooble, at bus station and he compelled me to take the money... I had some Indian food with me, I asked him ,' Do you like Indian food, he said,'ya' so I gave him the packet of Bakarwadi, from Chitale bandhu, he saw it and said,'Its sweet.' I said ,'No, its spicy'.He innocently asked, 'Do you have something sweet?' I was happy to give him , Rajgira laddus and some besan laddus made by me....., he said,' Thanks, Mam, I will have them when i feel hungry during day, as I am in car all the time.' I complemented him saying,' It was nice time with you, i would have like to interview you, but sorry for the lack of time!'

Standing in the queue for the bus, I was thinking...I just didn't ask his name?? So I am calling him as 'John, an interesting character,' I accidently happen to meet.But when I googled the country Morocco, I was surprised to find it as a Muslim religion following country....so may be his name might be different...but for me, he is a hardworking man ,working from 5:30a.m to 10:p.m, each day to earn his bread and butter... in a country which is culturally contrast to his, but now his own!!He just stands distinct by his simplicity and honesty, understanding others.... is what to be a good humanbeing afterall!

12 comments:

shraddha said...

hey priti it feels nice when u meet people like these who are true to themselves as well as to others...
interesting nd rare...
and no doubt whn a good humanbeing (thts u) meets another one...

i really enjoy reading ur blogs...
keep on writing...

Luv
-shraddha :)

Keepsaker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keepsaker said...

this one was so distinct....from a "Nobel profession" becoming money minded to how self centered some ppl are....ur post had it all. As i read it ur words built an image of John.
Wonderful experience...

Priti L Mishall said...

hey shraddha ,thanks for the encouragement....ur love will help me continue writing!!

Priti L Mishall said...

hey Amol, its good that u could perceive John through my words..that's what i aim, thanks dear! Ur blogs too are amazing. Keep it up!

reeta said...

Hi Priti ,i really enjoy reading your blog you are such a good writer.
i can't resist from reading all the articles.bit jealous and also proud of you for being such a down to earth and confident girl who likes to strike conversation with strangers.

Keep it up Priti,

Cheers,
Reeta.

Unknown said...

priti its very good story. here in us ,culture is really different they have different ways to thank. i m new to this country and langauge still getting used to it. and learning to express my feelings in words.

Priti L Mishall said...

Hey Reeta,
I am glad that you take time to go through them....what you say is very true. Somehow strangers open their minds to me, may be God wants me to talk to them, so I think he protects me!!(Otherwise its dangerous too)

Priti L Mishall said...

Hey Deepali, you are exactly correct, things work differnt here. A new person has to adjust and get used to it. But you can do it with time.

Priti L Mishall said...

Dear Priti,

On going thru your blog on taxi driver, i recalled an old insidence in my life.

That was a sad day when Raghukaka lost his father. As you know they stay at Prabhadevi area. I was required to bring the material required for his *( Raghukaka's father's) last journey i.e. "Tiradi". I ,thrergore , went to Tulasi pipe, Dadar. I purchased the material including a pair of bamboos, & was searching for taxi, I stopped 2-3 taxies but when they saw the material to be carried they refused to come. I was desperate since it was getting late. At last a taxi- stopped in front of me & driver asked me " apako kaha jana hai" I told the address, he helped me to load the material on carriar & took me to rRaghukaka's house We unloaded material& I asked about fare but he said I do not charge on such occasion. I asked his name he said "Babu" & started his vehicle.

I was so much moved by his gesture, that I sent a letter in a newspaper narrating the rare insidence, which was published in "Navshakti" The same was read by uncle ( Charu's father} & he appriciated.

I should have taken his full name & adderess of taxidriver.

With Regards,
Baba

Priti L Mishall said...

Dear Baba,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It was nice reading it.

Harshal Turkar said...

hi priti. i like your description of characters and the event overall. i too have posted similar blogs on my blogpage. kindly go through it and give feedback.